This blog is not an official US Department of State website. The views and information presented are of the author as a private citizen and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the US Department of State.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Edward Field

The American poet Edward Field is visiting the English Department this week and I had the pleasure yesterday of attending an intimate session with Field and a group of AUB students and faculty. Field spoke about his distinguished career, his writing process, and his bohemian experiences in Tangier, Greenwich Village, and even Afghanistan. A few bites:

* "Sentimentality used to be the biggest sin in poetry. I know what they mean--false feelings. But what about real feelings?"

* "Rewriting is the hard part. And the fun part."

* "In my poetry, I take off all my clothes."

A lovely session. I hope that tomorrow--when I head to Cafe Younes for a day of writing--that his words continue to resonate. I should also say that I walked away from his session wanting to visit Morocco but not Afghanistan. I'm hoping to attend his more public reading this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment